Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Anatomy of an Outfit

Often times, I find myself wanting new things, as I'm sure most of you do. It's pretty much ingrained in our DNA. I have this genetic predisposition to NEED to spend money. I also have this sad, symbiotic predisposition of never having enough of it. Luckily, I find as I get older, I also slowly get wiser (even more slowly in some areas - see: personal finance). I have found recently, working with what I already have can lead to some pretty stellar results. I really need to remember this more.

Invest in the basics, work with what you have, & do laundry (I'm also not so good at the latter).

This brings me to, (drum roll please)

1. GAP utility jacket (long gone but similar here) - forever21 gold necklaces (see below for purchase info) - fluXus gray tee (similar fluXus option here, american apparel tri-blend = great substitute) - ray-ban aviators. 2. leigh elena rose gold & skin cuff (similar online here, purchased at amazing local boutique Aquarius) - ASOS skull charm bracelet (extremely similar here). 3. classic elevator shot - 7 for all mankind black gummy skinnies (great sale find - gone, but similar here). 4. kitty socks were only fitting for bigger kitty boots - cat socks from $ section at target - sam edelman petty booties in snow leopard (all gone, but same pair here, in "new nude leopard"). 5. delicate gold jewelry, forever21 (diamond cutout here, similar small spike charm here, studs in set here, wish I had seen these guys here)

The cardinal rule: Find what works for you. 

I like skinny pants or serious wide legs (I tend to go for extremes). I like black. I love white. I never met a gray I didn't want to take home (hey-o). I also love pattern, & adventurous color combinations. I love a great statement piece, but I'm also starting to lean towards extremely delicate pieces, like the skull charm bracelet from ASOS above. This utility jacket came into my closet YEARS ago from GAP, but I'm still wearing it. I've also been wanting black leather pants since the dawn of time. IF you are looking to invest in a legit pair of leather pants, make sure you read this. If like me, leather pants are equal parts out of your price range & completely impractical for your climate (leather pants in south Texas? no thanks), you should try coated or waxed denim. The waxed Hudsons that appeared this past fall in krista & smoke (cognac/neutral brown colors) are my JAM - these black 7's are great so far too. The inside is soft like a cotton fabric would be, they have the stretch element that's so important for flattering skinnies, but the outside has that beautiful sheen. AND though I'm not keen to do laundry, I can actually wash them myself (no, not handwash - in the machine!).

Plus, recycling your outfits is totally "green", right?

'til next time,




No comments:

Post a Comment